Event Owl | The national all-in-one website solution for event applications

Event Licenses

If you are new to the event organising scene, your first question is is this being held on private or public land?

If public land your first port of call should be with the local council within whose land you will be hosting your festival, show, fair etc.  No point getting excited about hosting an event and planning it, if the local council says no, and for a very valid reason! Local councils are very keen for you to host only a good, safe event, in their area.

If you are hosting it on private land, and expect more than 1,000 people, the best practice is still to tell the local authority and make them aware of your plans.

If you wish to serve or sell alcohol, provide late-night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a License application.   It is very important you understand the difference between the two types of license and the length of time it takes for them to be issued.

Temporary Events Notice -  https://­www.­gov.­uk/­temporary-events-notice

Premises Licence - https://­www.­gov.­uk/­premises-licence

If you are unsure which is best for you, simply contact your local council who will give you the right information.

We've seen events cancelled at the last minute or Exhibitor traders turned away due to not having the right license in place. This is about safety, the local emergency services, through these licenses, are informed well in advance of your event, so they have your event on their radar and can plan their emergency cover - just in case.